Students with autism spectrum disorders present a varied and diverse profile of abilities and needs ranging from students on the severe end of the spectrum who present with significant behavioral and communication challenges to students on the high end of the spectrum with average cognitive and academic skills but who face significant social challenges each day. Autism Education Services provides assistance to school personnel in understanding the spectrum disorder of autism and specific information about research-based interventions and strategies designed to meet their students’ divergent needs.
Autism Education Services will provide consultation to administrative teams in the use of organizational strategies to determine the number and level of students with autism spectrum disorders in the district as well as the demographic information necessary to plan appropriate and integrated autism programming throughout the district.
Autism Education Services will provide ongoing consultation to district personnel to insure innovation and flexibility in creating a full continuum of programming options to meet the needs of all students on the autism spectrum. Some of these may include the development of programming that provides:
- An effective system of behavioral management and support for classroom teachers.
- Curriculum instruction and intervention strategies to improve the social functioning and skills of high functioning students with autism.
- Dynamic system of classroom placement options for preschoolers with autism to insure continual access to challenging instruction and social opportunities with peers as part of early intervention efforts.
- Multi-disciplinary inclusion model of intervention for students with high functioning autism spectrum disorders.
- Visual structure and communication supports in classrooms for students with classic autism and significant behavioral challenges.
- Meaningful academic and vocational skills curriculum and instruction within functional daily routines for middle and high school students with autism.
- IEP and intervention planning supports for teams that include teachers, related service providers and administrators.